Monday, October 22, 2012

Finding Art


So for this week’s post we had to go around the school campus in search of art. A while back I walked around the John Lyman Center for the Performing Arts, and found some pretty amazing stuff. The paintings that called out to me were mainly the abstract ones, with bold colors. The one painting that I want to talk about is this one:

So what I like about this painting is the mainly the placement of the colors and the strategic placement of the black to sort of even out or balance out the painting. I also like the paint splatter component to it of the white mixed in with the blue to make it pop out. It reminds me of graffiti art done on buildings and I really loved that about this piece of art. So to me the background of the painting seems to be buildings and it is overlapped by many different colors, what I interpret from this is that the background is representative of a community and the colors represent the many attitudes or personalities of a community. The white splatter to me means uniqueness within the community, standing out within a group of people that are all unique and equally distinguished. This painting reminds me of Southern and the message that it tries to send out to all of its students; that we are all part of an amazing community where each and every one of us has something unique to contribute to the community.  Overall I think the painting was pleasing to look at and because of the bold colors it stands out and I love the fact that it is abstract because you’re able to make your own conclusion of what the painting means. The artist definitely had a motive and message that they wanted to share with us but ultimately in an abstract painting it’s the viewer who gets to discern the meaning that’s “right” with them.      

No comments:

Post a Comment